Sonic Drive-In is a popular American fast food restaurant chain known for its extensive menu of burgers, hot dogs, and fountain drinks. One of the signature items at Sonic is their famous blended drinks and shakes, which come in different cup sizes. For customers looking to quench their thirst with a Sonic beverage, a key question arises: how many ounces (oz) are in a Sonic medium cup?
Understanding Sonic’s Cup Sizes
When ordering a drink at Sonic, customers have the option to choose between several cup sizes: small, medium, large, and extra-large. Sonic’s sizing terminology is fairly straightforward, but the exact fluid ounce measurements for each cup size are not always readily available or consistent across locations.
Some key factors that can impact the size of a medium Sonic cup include:
- Type of drink – Sizes may vary for fountain drinks vs. shakes and blended drinks.
- Location – Individual Sonic franchises may use slightly different cup volumes.
- Cup material – Plastic vs. paper cups can hold different amounts.
- Seasonal offerings – Specialty drinks may come in unique cup sizes.
With those considerations in mind, let’s examine what a medium cup at Sonic typically holds.
How Many Ounces Are in a Sonic Medium Cup?
After researching Sonic’s website and consulting multiple franchisee resources, the general consensus is that a medium cup at Sonic contains about 20 fluid ounces (oz).
However, there are a few caveats:
- For medium fountain drinks, 20 oz is the standard size.
- For medium shakes and blended drinks, some locations may use 24 oz cups.
- Individual franchises may vary their cup sizes slightly.
So while 20 oz is the most common volume, it’s best to check with your specific Sonic location to confirm their medium cup size if you need a precise amount.
Comparing Other Fast Food Sizes
To put Sonic’s 20 oz medium cup size into context, here’s how it compares to other major fast food chains:
- McDonald’s – 21 oz
- Burger King – 30 oz
- Wendy’s – 30 oz
- Starbucks – 16 oz (small), 18 oz (medium), 26 oz (large)
As you can see, Sonic’s medium drink size falls on the smaller end of the spectrum compared to competitors. Their small cup is typically 12-16 oz, while a large is 32 oz.
Why Cup Size Matters
For most customers, knowing the exact cup size volume isn’t a major concern. But in certain situations, understanding Sonic’s medium cup capacity in fluid ounces can be helpful:
Nutrition and Dietary Needs
When tracking nutritional intake or following a diet, knowing exact serving sizes and ounces consumed is important. This applies to drinks like sodas, juices, shakes, etc.
For health reasons, some people wish to limit their overall soda/drink consumption. Being aware of cup capacities makes it easier to moderate intake.
Price and Value Comparison
In some cases, calculating price per ounce can reveal which cup size offers the best value. Comparing medium vs. large, for example.
Following recipes for shakes or slushies may require knowing exact cup sizes to get ratios and yields right.
Free refills are often restricted to a certain cup size; thus knowing the cutoff between medium and large helps customers take advantage of policies.
Those with allergies may need to confirm oz sizes to ensure cups have been thoroughly cleaned between allergen-free and allergen-containing drinks.
While the 20 oz medium cup capacity may not make a big difference for most Sonic patrons, keeping the specific volume in mind can provide helpful context in certain situations.
- Will Chick Fil a Be Open on Sundays?
- How Long Does a Box of Joe Stay Hot?
- Why Are Takis Banned in Canada?
Tricks for Estimating Sonic Medium Cup Size
If you visit a Sonic Drive-In and want to gauge the size of a medium cup they provide, there are some simple tricks to compare it to known amounts:
- 12 oz can of soda – The medium will hold about 1.5 cans worth of liquid.
- 8 oz measuring cup – A medium is close to 2.5 measuring cups.
- 16 oz (1 pint) bottle – The medium cup is slightly bigger than a pint.
- Hand spacing – Using your thumb and fingers, a medium cup is about 3 finger-spans deep.
These everyday drink containers or hand measurements provide quick visual references for the approximate 20 oz volume of a Sonic medium size cup.
Official Sonic Resources on Cup Sizes
To get the most definitive, up-to-date answer directly from Sonic, here are some recommended steps:
- Check Sonic’s website – Look for a nutrition calculator or menu section with cup size details. As of now, their site does not list specific oz for all drinks and sizes.
- Contact customer service – Reach out to Sonic’s customer support online or by phone to inquire about medium cup capacities at various locations.
- Ask your local Sonic Drive-In – The best bet is to call or visit your nearby Sonic and ask the staff directly what size their medium cups are for different drinks. They should be able to confirm the exact ounces that their location uses.
- Look for markings on cups – When you receive your drink, check if the cup has any fluid ounce markings printed on the side. This can definitively show the volume.
Getting size information right from the source at Sonic is the most reliable method since policies may vary.
- Do Pop Tarts Have Eggs?
- What Juice Is Good for Acid Reflux? [10 Best Juices]
- How Do You Separate Milk from Curd?
Factors That Affect Actual Cup Fill Level
While a Sonic medium cup may hold 20 oz of liquid, the actual amount of fluid dispensed into the cup often ends up less than the total capacity. Some reasons for this include:
Cups filled with ice before pouring the drink leave less room for liquid, lowering the overall volume.
Foam in Shakes
The ice cream and whipped topping in shakes take up some space.
Carbonation in Sodas
Fizzy bubbles in carbonated drinks can account for a few ounces.
Variation in pouring accuracy and cup filling by staff.
So in reality, expect a filled medium Sonic cup to contain around 16-18 oz of liquid refreshment, allowing for ice, foam, and other factors.
Strategies for Getting the Most from a Sonic Medium Drink
If you want to maximize the value and enjoyment of a medium Sonic beverage, here are some useful tips:
- Request light ice – More room for drink instead of ice!
- Ask for no whipped cream or light cream on shakes – Saves space.
- No straw – Saves room since straws displace liquid.
- Easy on fizz for soda – Less bubbles means more fluid.
- Order juice or drinks with less foam – Allows cup to hold more actual liquid.
- Water down strong drinks like lemonade – Lets you refresh taste while minimizing intense sweetness or tartness.
- No lid – The dome lids encroach on cup space; go lidless if eating in.
With smart ordering, you can optimize a Sonic medium drink to come as close as possible to its 20 oz capacity!
- Are Midwest Tomatoes Sweeter than California? (Answered)
- Does Yeast Have Catalase?
- What Juice Is Good for Acid Reflux? [10 Best Juices]
The Takeaway on Sonic Medium Cup Size
So how many ounces are in a Sonic medium cup? The typical answer is 20 oz, though exact amounts can vary by drink type and location specifics. While not always critical, knowing the medium cup capacity provides helpful context for nutrition tracking, getting refills, comparing to other chains, and maximizing your beverage enjoyment.
To confirm the precise medium cup size at your go-to Sonic Drive-In, your best bet is to check directly with that restaurant’s management. Their firsthand input will give you the definitive oz measurement to answer the question.
Armed with the medium cup size knowledge, you can now confidently order your favorite Sonic frozen lemonade, Ocean Water, or Route 44 drink knowing exactly what quantity you’ll receive. So sip, slurp and enjoy getting the most out of your medium drink on your next Sonic run!